Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Finished Project: Blank Slate - Marigold Blouse

I officially kicked off my fall sewing (not counting the pattern test coat that I made) with revisiting a pattern that I made earlier this summer and loved: Blank Slate's Marigold. Even as our weather has cooled, I still wear the shirtdress version that I made in July, although now I'm layering it with boots and a jacket. (Here's a recap of my fall sewing plans.) This time around, I opted to make a long-sleeved blouse.

Blank Slate - Marigold blouse

I won't write up a full review of this pattern, since my very positive opinion of this pattern hasn't changed since the first time that I made it. I also used the same fit alterations as last time--tracing a new copy of the bodice front and back from my previously altered pattern to make my alterations to turn the dress bodice into a blouse.

I used A Happy Stitch's post as a loose guideline for my dress-to-blouse conversion. Here's how I modified the pattern:
  • Raised the sleeve cap height by 1/2" due to the cap feeling too flat in my shirtdress version. 
  • Added 6" in length to the side seams.
  • Added 8" in length to the CB and CF.

    I'm on the fence as to whether I need to add more length next time. The length looks good standing in photos, but it's a little short when I raise my arms. I'm leaning a bit towards adding 1" inch length to both the sides and CB/CF in my next go-around.
  • Added a 2" ease pleat at the top of the CB. I had hoped that this would be enough ease for the blouse to skim over my large bum, but you can see some pooling in the rear view, so that still needs some tweaking:
Marigold blouse - rear view
  •  I did NOT alter the neckline like A Happy Stitch did. I didn't feel like the dress version I made needed that alteration. However, the cotton lawn that I used for my blouse version doesn't sit open quite as nicely. I think that for next time, I will go ahead and open up the neckline a bit. I never button the top button on anything (hello uniboob), so I might as well make this alteration.
  • The blouse pretty much fits straight up and down in this version. I toyed with the idea of adding some shaping, but wanted to see how it fit unaltered first. I do think I could use a little more width through the hips, and I'll probably nip in the waist a touch for next time.
Check out my new shoes!
I'm including the above shot because it shows off my new shoes that I got for my birthday. Is there a more wonderfully 90's pair of shoes than floral print Doc Martens? And no, I don't care if they clash with my floral print blouse.

 

Fabric Used

 

The fabric for this blouse is a Robert Kaufman cotton lawn that I bought on sale from Craftsy last summer. It's nice and lightweight but not sheer. As usual, my interfacing is a lightweight fusible interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply, and the buttons were picked up at JoAnn's.

Final Thoughts

 

Because of the frustrations that I have with fitting my bust, I hadn't made a button-down blouse for myself in 4 or 5 years. Is the fit on this particular blouse perfect? No, but it doesn't gape or pull at the bust, either, which is a huge accomplishment when you're dealing with G-cups. I'll be perfectly happy to wear this and also to continue to fine-tune this particular pattern until I get all of the fitting kinks worked out.
And here's an outtake pic from my photo shoot. No idea what I was doing here--I think I was trying to twirl or something.

Outtake!

24 comments:

  1. Love this blouse! It looks great on you. And you're giving me major shoe envy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! This will be a great layering piece too, over a tank or cami. The color is great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, my goal is/was to have a button-up blouse pattern that I can wear either closed or layered.

      Delete
  3. Fab-u-lous this looks so good. Great fabric choice. Enjoy wearing it. Louise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab-u-lous this looks so good. Great fabric choice. Enjoy wearing it. Louise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehehe - I've been working up tips for good twirling pics as part of October's Better Picture Project theme, so, um... watch my blog, and I'll be expecting more twirling! :P I think this top looks great, and I love the floral docs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw you say something about twirling on IG right before I shot those pictures yesterday morning. So I credit/blame you. ;) :P

      Delete
  6. Love the fabric for this one! Blue really suits you a lot

    ReplyDelete
  7. GIMME THE SHOES!!! I'm 5'9" though, so I suspect yours aren't my size. Love the blouse as well :) Beautifully done- definitely nip in the waist of the next one- I'm amazed at how great that silhouette looks.
    Oh, and you don't clash. Print mixing is a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not--they're a size 7. One gift of my post-baby body is actually finally having semi-normal sized feet! (Pre-baby, I wore a 5.5 or a 6 and could never find shoes in my size.)

      Delete
  8. One more thing! I double dog dare you to unbutton another button. I know, you're just like me, afraid to unleash your chest on an unsuspecting world(!) You'd look great, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's that, and the fact that the bridge of my bras come up so damn high that I'm sort of limited in how low a neckline can go without flashing bra. But I'm definitely opening up the neckline more next time.

      Delete
  9. I love this blouse and the fabric!

    Before you do any further alterations, I'd try this blouse on with another pair of pants. Jeans tend to "grab" cotton fabric shirts in the back -- this could be what is making you think you need to add width to the hips. Just a thought.

    The shoes totally rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's a fair point about the jeans.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful! So glad you found a shirt pattern that works for you. Can't wait to see more! It looks like a wardrobe builder for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the length is great on from & back - maybe shallower curve thru the sides?
    Lovely colors on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. *front*
    ....and the shoes are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a great top! And not even recognizable as the same pattern! I think you could also do a great tunic style shirt, by not adjusting your original dress pattern, but just cut off the skirt after a few inches, I like the way the dress cinches in a little.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi. I was just searching through Vogue patterns and your pics came up. You look so happy and proud, I just had to come over and have a look! The shirt looks great. I agree with you that maybe just an inch longer next time you make it. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete