Saturday, November 28, 2015

This Week in Patterns (27-Nov-2015)

I'm doing an abridged version of my roundup post this week as here in the US, we are in the middle of a long, Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

Cutting to the chase, here are links to what we saw released this past week:

  • BurdaStyle Plus: Hotel Bar (December 2015 collection) - A collection of little black dresses (LBDs) that I might find more interesting if I had any place to wear a LBD. At least they're not shapeless sacks, right?
  • Pauline Alice: Seda Dress -  Cute 50's-inspired dress with the option of being off-the-shoulder or with a contrast yoke (for those of us who can't go braless or wear strapless bras). I love that she was thoughtful enough to include that option for those of us who are more...endowed. The samples in the photo are too large on the model, IMO, but I like the design of the dress, and like many of her designs, I wish they were available in a larger size range.
  • StyleArc: Hedy Designer Dress - Asian-design-inspired unstructured dress with interesting construction details. It's a cool design, but I don't think I could wear it.
  • StyleArc and MimiG Collaboration: Maya Dress - This pattern appears to only be available in PDF download format via StyleArc's Etsy shop. Not sure what the deal with this is, considering that I've never seen a formal announcement about it. The Style is certainly more MimiG than StyleArc. Hmmm...

12 comments:

  1. Who else, except MimiG, is that dress for? Have you seen the pictures she posted on her blog? It's so tight that you can see pull lines when she's standing straight. And then the peek-a-boo stomach? I have no words and then many words.

    The Pauline Alice dress is nice, but the off-shoulder view is not big boob friendly. I do like her Quart Coat, though.

    My least favorite of the Burda LBDs is the one with the ruffles. Why, Burda, why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the MimiG dress needs to be a bit bigger to fit her well. And the ruffled Burda dress? Let me go to the bar for a drink and i'm dressed and ready if we go to a barn dance. AWFUL!

      Delete
    2. Now I've seen them. I'm all for feeling confident with your body, but she *doesn't* appear all that confident in those photos--she looks self-conscious. And if the person who designed the pattern is self-conscious wearing it, who's going to buy it?

      Delete
  2. I don't get the mimi g dress. I just don't know what to say about it without sounding like a complete b*tch! So I won't say anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burda has been doing great with the plus patterns lately, and I'm glad I've kept my subscription. I'd like to make nearly every pattern in the Hotel Bar collection. Great dresses and I love the coat pattern particularly. It's not my favorite, but I think that even the maligned ruffle dress would look cute on the right person, maybe in a different fabric or with a belt. Someone will probably make that one work in an unexpected way! Anyway, it's always nice to see some variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, even though I don't have a need for LBDs, I appreciate the effort. I'm having my husband extend my trial subscription as one of my Christmas presents. (I love that we can use trial subscriptions to skip the summer issues now.) Now, if only I had more time to sew!

      Delete
    2. Piggy backing to say, I too am doing shorter subscriptions now to skip May, June and July. While I liked a couple dresses from this June, there's not much otherwise that I liked for summer.

      Delete
  4. That Me me me G dress is horrible, I wonder how many inches of negative ease it has. I'm disappointed in StyleArc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Hedy dress should be called the Hiddy dress. Because it really is hideous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That model is ROCKING that sheath in the Burda plus collection. I love it! I really like the coat too.

    All of the other dresses; Seda, Hedy and Maya are nope, nope, NOPE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like the coat, too. To me, the draw of the Hedy would probably be the construction process itself, rather than actually wearing the dress. But I don't have time to make things that I won't wear.

      Delete